Auto Insurance Fraud is a Felony
Insurance fraud is aggressively prosecuted by the San Diego District Attorney’s office. This includes workers’ compensation fraud and auto insurance fraud. In 2010, nine people in San Diego were convicted of staging auto accidents with stolen vehicles in a scheme to defraud auto insurance companies of over $200,000.
Channel 6 News San Diego reported the group were charged with staging five alleged fraudulent traffic accidents. Each case involved two vehicles: the vehicle that caused the collision, commonly referred to as the “hammer” vehicle and the vehicle that was struck, commonly referred to as the “nail” vehicle. For each crash, the passengers in the “nail” vehicle claimed injuries and sought treatment at a local hospital. When the insurance company settled the claims, the payment checks were sent directly to the “injured” passengers, who left the hospital bills unpaid. In 1993, a group of over 40 individuals were charged with similar fraudulent accidents.
Unfortunately, this type of criminal behavior sometimes makes insurance companies wary of legitimate claims, for instance where the “hammer” vehicle is a stolen vehicle or is abandoned at the scene. In such cases, even a legitimate claim can be referred to the insurance company’s Special Investigations Unit.
You should know your rights when dealing with an insurance company. If you or someone your love has been injured in a car accident, call our office for a free, no hassle consultation to find out those rights and to talk about your case.
- “I would highly recommend Eugene Bruno & Associates! They helped me out with a case of mine and everything worked out perfectly. I worked with Amir, one of the lawyers and he was amazing. Definitely would work with him again. Thank you!”
- Mona Hakim, Google Review
- “This people deserve more than 5 stars. I would highly recommend them to anyone.”
- Faisal A., Google Review
- “You will not be disappointed hiring these guys. Eugene Bruno & Associates are the best car accident lawyers in San Diego and I recommend them 100%!!”
- Adam C., Google Review
- “Take the time to speak with Mr. Bruno, he will definitely help you and guide you and make you feel like family! Best decision I have made, I went with the best. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!!!!!”
- Lakeisha E., Google Review