New Background Check Requirements for Ride-Share Drivers
Uber’s introduction of a “safe rides” fee a few years ago angered lots of customers who thought they should not have to pay an extra fee for their safety. That fee generated more than $449 million in revenue for Uber over the last two years, according to a report from Bloomberg.
According to Uber’s Website
“The background check includes a Motor Vehicle Record review as well as a criminal background check.
Local laws and regulations often establish the specific background check criteria that Uber applies, and these criteria can vary significantly from state to state. In general though, in order to pass the background check, drivers must have:
- At least one year U.S. licensing history (if under 23-years-old, must have at least three years licensing history)
- A valid driver’s license and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) that shows:
- No major moving violations, such as DUIs or reckless driving, within the last seven years
- No more than three minor moving violations in the past three years, such as speeding tickets or failure to obey traffic laws
- A criminal record that does not include a conviction for a felony, violent crime, or sexual offense within the last seven years, among other things such as a registration on the U.S. Department of Justice National Sex Offender Public Website.
The background check is private, secure, and completely free for potential driver partners. Background checks are performed by Checkr, Inc., a third party background check provider that is accredited by the National Association of Professional Background Screeners. Periodically, we re-run background checks for current driver partners. The background check does not include a credit check.”
As of November 9, 2017, California’s Public Utilities Commission (CPUC) issued a new order to intensify background checks requirements for Transportation Network Companies (TNCs) such as Uber and Lyft.
TNCs now will be required to use companies credited by the National Association of Professional Background Screeners when conducting background checks on drivers. Background checks will be required before any rideshare driver is allowed to drive on the app and background checks will now be conducted yearly. The CPUC hopes these changes will provide additional security and peace of mind for passengers.
More information regarding the CPUC changes can be found here:
- “I would highly recommend Eugene Bruno & Associates! They helped me out with a case of mine and everything worked out perfectly. I worked with Amir, one of the lawyers and he was amazing. Definitely would work with him again. Thank you!”
- Mona Hakim, Google Review
- “This people deserve more than 5 stars. I would highly recommend them to anyone.”
- Faisal A., Google Review
- “You will not be disappointed hiring these guys. Eugene Bruno & Associates are the best car accident lawyers in San Diego and I recommend them 100%!!”
- Adam C., Google Review
- “Take the time to speak with Mr. Bruno, he will definitely help you and guide you and make you feel like family! Best decision I have made, I went with the best. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!!!!!”
- Lakeisha E., Google Review