NHTSA Report Show Safer Roads in 2010
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) recently reported fatalities on US highways declined by over 1,000 people over the past year. Total fatal accidents for 2010 are expected to be 32,788, down from 33,808 in 2009. This is the lowest since 1949.
NHTSA Deputy Administrator Ronald Medford believes the reduction is due to stricter driving laws and improved safety technology. For example, when the NHTSA crash tests new cars, they now use more accurate and sensitive crash dummies and multiple tests for front, side and rollover impacts. According to Medford, the newer tests resulted in lower safety ratings for vehicle safety due to increases in safety standards. Car manufacturers have responded by improving the safety rating of their vehicles through better technology.
A decline in traffic fatalities is great news, but there were still 5.5 million car accidents in the US during 2009, many of which were preventable. According to Medford, stricter driving laws and technological advancements help, but they can’t completely solve problems such as distracted driving and drunk driving. Preventing these dangerous behaviors ultimately comes down to personal choices.
Source: “NHTSA to Report Decline in U.S. Highway Fatalities,” Herb Shuldiner, 04 May 2011.
If you, or someone you know, has been injured in a motor vehicle accident, motorcycle accident, or any other type of accident, it’s critical that you know your rights. Call us or set up a free in-person consultation to discuss your case today.
- “I would recommend them to anybody after the amazing work they have done for me. Thank you Eugene Bruno & Associates!”
- Shayan H., Google Review
- “This people deserve more than 5 stars. I would highly recommend them to anyone.”
- Faisal A., Google Review
- “You will not be disappointed hiring these guys. Eugene Bruno & Associates are the best car accident lawyers in San Diego and I recommend them 100%!!”
- Adam C., Google Review
- “Take the time to speak with Mr. Bruno, he will definitely help you and guide you and make you feel like family! Best decision I have made, I went with the best. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!!!!!”
- Lakeisha E., Google Review