Pedestrian Safety Statistics
Not surprisingly, vehicle versus pedestrian accidents result in a greater number of injuries (81% versus 30% in vehicle versus vehicle accidents) and a greater likelihood of death (14% versus 0.6% in vehicle versus vehicle accidents). Pedestrians are 2.7 times more likely to be injured and approximately 23 times more likely to be killed.
Children and the elderly – populations that are more likely to walk to school, shopping, and work – are more likely to be injured in a vehicle versus pedestrian accident. This is likely because they suffer from mobility, cognitive and sensory impairments which puts them at higher risk. Children (ages 0 to 14) comprise 24% of California’s population but 31% of all pedestrians injuries. The elderly comprise 18% of the total state population, but accounted for 37% of all pedestrian fatalities. (Blue, Gibby, and Ferrara, 2001).
A number of factors are likely contributing to pedestrian injuries and fatalities. However, several factors that may significantly affect pedestrian safety include:
- Risky behavior (crossing outside crosswalk, “darting out” in front of a vehicle);
- Children, the elderly, lower income persons, and persons with disabilities are more likely to be pedestrians;
- Pedestrian facilities (sidewalks, marked crosswalks) influence pedestrian behavior;
- Pedestrians that are better educated about potential hazards are safer;
- Almost half of all fatal pedestrians accidents occur between 6pm and midnight.
Department of Justice (1994) Title III regulations, 28 CFR Part 36, Appendix A. ADA Standards for Accessible Design. Washington D.C.
Our lawyers have in-depth experience litigating injury claims against the big insurance companies and a track record of achieving superior results — whether negotiating a settlement or at trial. We are passionate about providing high-quality legal services and helping our clients obtain the maximum compensation they deserve. Call to talk to an attorney today or schedule a confidential, no-cost consultation.
- “I would highly recommend Eugene Bruno & Associates! They helped me out with a case of mine and everything worked out perfectly. I worked with Amir, one of the lawyers and he was amazing. Definitely would work with him again. Thank you!”
- Mona Hakim, Google Review
- “This people deserve more than 5 stars. I would highly recommend them to anyone.”
- Faisal A., Google Review
- “You will not be disappointed hiring these guys. Eugene Bruno & Associates are the best car accident lawyers in San Diego and I recommend them 100%!!”
- Adam C., Google Review
- “Take the time to speak with Mr. Bruno, he will definitely help you and guide you and make you feel like family! Best decision I have made, I went with the best. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!!!!!”
- Lakeisha E., Google Review