Woman Killed in Head-On Collision
Palm City – On May 16, 2013, a fatal head-on collision occurred around 8:40 a.m. in the 2600 block of Coronado Avenue, just east of the Interstate 5, according to the San Diego police.
The accident occurred on Coronado Avenue near Dearborn Drive, where a female driver in a Ford Contour driving eastbound on Coronado Avenue veered out of her lane, colliding with an oncoming vehicle in the opposite lane of traffic. As the driver of the Ford Contour approached the 2600 block she crossed over into the westbound lanes crashing head-on into another female driver in a Toyota Camry. The 29-year-old female driver in the Ford Contour died at the scene and the other female driver was transported to the hospital with minor injuries. Investigators do believe that speed was a factor in this crash.
It just so happens that an ambulance was passing by immediately following the accident. According to SDPD Detective Gary Hassen, medics took the surviving victim to UCSD Medical Center for treatment of her injuries.
SDPD officers shut down part of the street for a few hours while they conducted an investigation and cleaned up debris from the accident.
Dangers Of Head-On Collisions
A head-on collision is perhaps the most dangerous of all forms of traffic collisions, even at seemingly moderate speeds as in the accident that occurred in a residential neighborhood in Palm City. With a head-on collision, the front ends of two vehicles collide, as opposed to a rear-end collision or a side collision.
In a 1985 study by K. Rumar using British and American crash report data, it found that 57% of crashes were solely caused by driver factors. In simple terms, the majority of accidents were caused by driver negligence more than any other contributing factor.
Human Factors Leading to Head-On Collisions
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- Old age
- Distracted driving (e.g. texting while driving)
Unfortunately, the head-on collision between the Ford Contour and the Toyota Camry was preventable and a life could have been spared if negligence wasn’t a factor. If you were injured in a head-on collision, a side-impact collision or a rear-end collision because of driver negligence, then I urge you to contact my firm, Eugene Bruno & Associates, to discuss filing a claim for maximum compensation.
- “I would highly recommend Eugene Bruno & Associates! They helped me out with a case of mine and everything worked out perfectly. I worked with Amir, one of the lawyers and he was amazing. Definitely would work with him again. Thank you!”
- Mona Hakim, Google Review
- “This people deserve more than 5 stars. I would highly recommend them to anyone.”
- Faisal A., Google Review
- “You will not be disappointed hiring these guys. Eugene Bruno & Associates are the best car accident lawyers in San Diego and I recommend them 100%!!”
- Adam C., Google Review
- “Take the time to speak with Mr. Bruno, he will definitely help you and guide you and make you feel like family! Best decision I have made, I went with the best. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!!!!!”
- Lakeisha E., Google Review