Your Health Insurance Wants to be Paid Back!
If you have been injured in a motor vehicle accident and you receive medical treatment paid for by your health insurance, in most cases, your health insurance plan will require you to reimburse the cost of your treatment out of your settlement. Likewise, if you receive medical treatment paid for by Medi-Care, Medi-Cal, and Tri-Care. Even if you don’t have health insurance, if you are treated in a hospital emergency room after an accident, the hospital’s bill must be paid out of your settlement.
Most health insurance plans require payment for “third party liability” cases, meaning any injury which is caused by a third party. Your insurance plan has what’s called a “lien” on your settlement. Likewise, Medi-Care, Medi-Cal, Tri-Care, or the hospital that treats you has a “lien” on your settlement.
Resolving these liens when you settle your case is extremely complex and requires a thorough knowledge of the law. Is the lien valid? If it is, how much should be paid to satisfy the lien? Are there any circumstances when you don’t have to pay a lien? The correct answer to these questions can make the difference between being fully compensated for your injury and not. A skilled attorney should evaluate these liens to determine if they are enforceable and, if so, whether there are any defenses which may permit a reduced payment.
If you or someone you know has been injured in a motor vehicle accident, a motorcycle accident, or any other type of accident, feel free to call my office to schedule a free, no obligation consultation. Protect yourself by knowing your rights!
- “I would highly recommend Eugene Bruno & Associates! They helped me out with a case of mine and everything worked out perfectly. I worked with Amir, one of the lawyers and he was amazing. Definitely would work with him again. Thank you!”
- Mona Hakim, Google Review
- “This people deserve more than 5 stars. I would highly recommend them to anyone.”
- Faisal A., Google Review
- “You will not be disappointed hiring these guys. Eugene Bruno & Associates are the best car accident lawyers in San Diego and I recommend them 100%!!”
- Adam C., Google Review
- “Take the time to speak with Mr. Bruno, he will definitely help you and guide you and make you feel like family! Best decision I have made, I went with the best. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!!!!!”
- Lakeisha E., Google Review