Allstate Drops “Accident Forgiveness” in California
No doubt you’ve seen the ads for Allstate’s “accident forgiveness” program, which prevents Allstate from increasing your premium if you have an accident. Approximately 10% of Allstate’s 1.5 million customers in California purchased this additional coverage.
The Los Angeles Times reported last week that a consumer watchdog group asked the California Department of Insurance to investigate Allstate’s “accident forgiveness” program, which they say is deceptive, unfair, and unlawful because it surcharges customers up to 15% with the promise that a future accident will not cause the customer’s insurance rates to go up.
Bloomberg Businessweek also reported: Allstate’s accident forgiveness program became “a cash cow for Allstate by charging customers more than they should be paying under California’s good driver law,” said Todd M. Foreman, in-house counsel for Consumer Watchdog. “Allstate was receiving $20 million a year in extra premiums since it began selling the program in California in 2008.”
Is it fair that Allstate’s customers pay more now to avoid paying more later? When the Department of Insurance decided to investigate, Allstate discontinued the program rather than cooperate with the Department’s investigation. What is really behind Allstate’s “accident forgiveness” program and what is Allstate hiding?
- “I would highly recommend Eugene Bruno & Associates! They helped me out with a case of mine and everything worked out perfectly. I worked with Amir, one of the lawyers and he was amazing. Definitely would work with him again. Thank you!”
- Mona Hakim, Google Review
- “This people deserve more than 5 stars. I would highly recommend them to anyone.”
- Faisal A., Google Review
- “You will not be disappointed hiring these guys. Eugene Bruno & Associates are the best car accident lawyers in San Diego and I recommend them 100%!!”
- Adam C., Google Review
- “Take the time to speak with Mr. Bruno, he will definitely help you and guide you and make you feel like family! Best decision I have made, I went with the best. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!!!!!”
- Lakeisha E., Google Review