April is Distracted Driving Awareness Month
The California Office of Traffic Safety (OTS), California Highway Patrol (CHP) and more than 200 law enforcement agencies statewide are working together to promote National Distracted Driving Awareness Month in April and California Teen Safe Driving Week, which is the first week of April.
Throughout April, CHP will focus on public education about the dangers of driving distracted including visits to schools and traffic safety presentations. In addition, April 1 and April 15 will be special high visibility enforcement days.
The urge to read and answer an incoming text message can be almost overwhelming. OTS is encouraging drivers to “Silence the Distraction” in new public service announcements aimed at getting drivers to turn off their phones while driving so they won’t be tempted. “Driving takes one’s full attention and any distraction can have deadly, dangerous consequences,” says Chief Phillip L. Sanchez, of the Pasadena Police Department. “Imagine driving for four or five seconds while blindfolded. That can be the effect of looking down to send a text message. In the average time it takes to check a text message – less than 5 seconds – a car travelling 60 mph will travel more than the length of a football field.” “No text, call, or social media update is worth a crash,” says OTS Director Rhonda Craft. “With an average of less than a second to react to an urgent situation, drivers need to have all their attention on the roadway.”
Distraction can take on many forms, not just texting, and can affects all road users, but young drivers are at a higher risk. People are finally starting to realize that everyday behaviors, such as texting or reaching for a dropped item, can be lethal when done behind the wheel.
- “I would highly recommend Eugene Bruno & Associates! They helped me out with a case of mine and everything worked out perfectly. I worked with Amir, one of the lawyers and he was amazing. Definitely would work with him again. Thank you!”
- Mona Hakim, Google Review
- “This people deserve more than 5 stars. I would highly recommend them to anyone.”
- Faisal A., Google Review
- “You will not be disappointed hiring these guys. Eugene Bruno & Associates are the best car accident lawyers in San Diego and I recommend them 100%!!”
- Adam C., Google Review
- “Take the time to speak with Mr. Bruno, he will definitely help you and guide you and make you feel like family! Best decision I have made, I went with the best. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!!!!!”
- Lakeisha E., Google Review