Can You Get PTSD From a Car Accident?
PTSD is a type of anxiety disorder that can occur after a person experiences a traumatic event or serious injury. It can occur in about half of all people who are injured in car accidents. PTSD may adversely affect your overall recovery following a car accident. Without treatment, PTSD can make it difficult to return to your regular activities of daily living. A PTSD diagnosis must be made by a physician based on specific behaviors or symptoms, including:
- Re-experiencing the traumatic event, including nightmares, flashbacks or intrusive memories;
- Avoiding situations which remind you of the original trauma, reluctance to talk or think about the original trauma, or feeling emotionally “numb” about the event; and,
- Increased irritability, anger, difficulty concentrating, and/or insomnia.
If symptoms last at least 1 month and are severe enough to cause a noticeable change in your behavior, you may be suffering from PTSD. PTSD can occur in persons of any age and there are certain high risk groups (if you are female or if you are of Hispanic origin). Typically, PTSD is treated with therapy or medications, including anti-depressant or anti-anxiety medications.
Recognizing the symptoms of PTSD early offers the best chance of effective treatment. Unfortunately, many primary care and family practice doctors may not recognize the signs of PTSD and remain unaware of prevention and treatment strategies. As a result, your recovery may be delayed and your chances of a full recovery may be diminished.
If you have been seriously injured in a motor vehicle accident and you think you may be experiencing some of the above symptoms, talk to your doctor about what you are feeling, which could be early signs of PTSD. If you, or someone you know, have been injured in a motor vehicle or other accident, I encourage you to call our office to discuss your case or to schedule a consultation to discuss your rights.
- “I would highly recommend Eugene Bruno & Associates! They helped me out with a case of mine and everything worked out perfectly. I worked with Amir, one of the lawyers and he was amazing. Definitely would work with him again. Thank you!”
- Mona Hakim, Google Review
- “This people deserve more than 5 stars. I would highly recommend them to anyone.”
- Faisal A., Google Review
- “You will not be disappointed hiring these guys. Eugene Bruno & Associates are the best car accident lawyers in San Diego and I recommend them 100%!!”
- Adam C., Google Review
- “Take the time to speak with Mr. Bruno, he will definitely help you and guide you and make you feel like family! Best decision I have made, I went with the best. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!!!!!”
- Lakeisha E., Google Review