Defining Distracted Driving
Distracted driving is the leading cause of car accidents across the nation, and results in countless crashes in the San Diego area each day. Distracted driving goes beyond just texting behind the wheel, however; distractions fall under three main categories.
Visual Distraction: A driver is visually distracted when they take their eyes from the road for a few seconds or a long period of time. Visual distraction occurs when drivers do such things as look at maps or GPS devices, read or compose text messages, “rubberneck” or look at crashes on the other side of the highway, or look at their cell phones or stereos.
Cognitive Distraction: A driver is cognitively distracted when they allow their mind to be completely or partially unfocused on the road and driving safely. Even if a driver is watching the road and has both hands on the steering wheel, they can be cognitively distracted if they are driving while exhausted, emotional, or extremely stressed, or if they are composing a text or listening to a phone call or passenger speaking.
Manual Distraction: A driver is manually distracted when they take one or both of their hands off of the steering wheel for a significant amount of time or just a few seconds. Manual distraction most often occurs when drivers text, use their cell phones, eat or drink, adjust their stereos, reach for things inside of their vehicles, or use maps or GPS devices while driving.
If you were involved in a car accident that was caused by a distracted driver, you may be entitled to compensation for your injuries and damages. My team at Eugene Bruno & Associates has helped hundreds of victims recover fair settlements for their losses, and I can represent you as well. Contact my firm today or fill out a free case evaluation form to learn more about your legal options!
- “I would highly recommend Eugene Bruno & Associates! They helped me out with a case of mine and everything worked out perfectly. I worked with Amir, one of the lawyers and he was amazing. Definitely would work with him again. Thank you!”
- Mona Hakim, Google Review
- “This people deserve more than 5 stars. I would highly recommend them to anyone.”
- Faisal A., Google Review
- “You will not be disappointed hiring these guys. Eugene Bruno & Associates are the best car accident lawyers in San Diego and I recommend them 100%!!”
- Adam C., Google Review
- “Take the time to speak with Mr. Bruno, he will definitely help you and guide you and make you feel like family! Best decision I have made, I went with the best. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!!!!!”
- Lakeisha E., Google Review