Distracted Driving at an All-Time High with Teen Drivers Most at Risk
All drivers – but especially teenagers – should think first and foremost about safety, but cell phones, text messaging and traffic have taken distractions to an all time high. The result is all time high numbers of accidents. All drivers are susceptible to these distractions, but research shows more experienced drivers can control these distractions, but younger, less experienced driver cannot. As a result, younger, less experienced drivers cause more accidents.
According to David Hurwitz, an assistant professor of transportation engineering at the College of Engineering at Oregon State University: “Anything that takes your attention away, any glance away from the road for 2 seconds or longer can increase the risk of an accident from 4 to 24 times.”
The worst distractions are texting or talking on a cell phone. Studies show “hands-free” phones are no safer than a hand-held phone because the real distraction is talking to someone who is not in the car. And talking on the phone is not the only distraction: eating, drinking, smoking, adjusting the radio, changing a CD, using GPS also can be dangerous distractions. Amazingly, a recent study found that 27% of teenagers even changed clothes or shoes while driving, and worked on homework while driving!
“Interactive” driver simulation programs – like a driver training video game – can make younger drivers more aware of the many distractions they face everyday. According to Hurwitz: “Young people learn better when they are involved in the process, not just sitting and listening to a lecture, students doing this can see how much better their awareness and reaction time are when they aren’t distracted.”
- “I would highly recommend Eugene Bruno & Associates! They helped me out with a case of mine and everything worked out perfectly. I worked with Amir, one of the lawyers and he was amazing. Definitely would work with him again. Thank you!”
- Mona Hakim, Google Review
- “This people deserve more than 5 stars. I would highly recommend them to anyone.”
- Faisal A., Google Review
- “You will not be disappointed hiring these guys. Eugene Bruno & Associates are the best car accident lawyers in San Diego and I recommend them 100%!!”
- Adam C., Google Review
- “Take the time to speak with Mr. Bruno, he will definitely help you and guide you and make you feel like family! Best decision I have made, I went with the best. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!!!!!”
- Lakeisha E., Google Review