Safe Summertime Travel: Tire Safety Tips
Like the ad says, there’s a lot riding on your tires. Remember, tire safety depends on proper pressure, alignment, rotation and tread.
Under inflated tires are a leading cause of tire failure and blow out. The proper inflation for your tires is specified by the vehicle manufacturer and is shown on either the vehicle door edge, door post, glove box door or fuel door. It is also listed in the vehicle owner’s manual.
- Check inflation pressure monthly and before long trips.
- Check tires when cool (at least 3 hours after driving).
- Check the spare, too.
- Check for nails or other objects that could cause a blow out. Check the sidewalls too.
- Tire inflation pressure increases (in warm weather) and decreases (in cold weather) 1-2 pounds for every 10 degrees of temperature change.
Misalignment can cause uneven treadwear. Have your alignment checked as specified by the vehicle owner’s manual or whenever you have a sign of trouble such as “pulling.” Also, have your tire balanced periodically.
Tire rotation can prevent uneven treadwear. Refer to your vehicle owner’s manual for rotation recommendations. (usually every 5,000–8,000 miles).
Tires must be replaced when the tread is worn down to 2/32″. Traction and resistance to hydroplaning is reduced as tires wear. To test, place a penny upside down in the tread groove. If part of Lincoln’s head is covered by the tread, you’re driving with the proper amount of tread. If you can see all of his head, you should buy a new tire.
- “I would highly recommend Eugene Bruno & Associates! They helped me out with a case of mine and everything worked out perfectly. I worked with Amir, one of the lawyers and he was amazing. Definitely would work with him again. Thank you!”
- Mona Hakim, Google Review
- “This people deserve more than 5 stars. I would highly recommend them to anyone.”
- Faisal A., Google Review
- “You will not be disappointed hiring these guys. Eugene Bruno & Associates are the best car accident lawyers in San Diego and I recommend them 100%!!”
- Adam C., Google Review
- “Take the time to speak with Mr. Bruno, he will definitely help you and guide you and make you feel like family! Best decision I have made, I went with the best. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!!!!!”
- Lakeisha E., Google Review