Semi-Truck Drivers Will Soon Be Replaced With Self-Driving Trucks
Self-driving cars will soon be a reality, but self driving semi-truck may a reality a lot sooner. A lot of automakers like Tesla, Volvo, Daimler, Embark and others are using autonomous technology to create robotic semi truck drivers.
Over the past few weeks, Embark has started using robottrucks to haul Frigidaire refrigerators along Interstate 10 starting at a warehouse in El Paso, Texas and ending at a distribution center in Palm Springs, California. The robotruck is accompanied by a human driver co-pilot who monitors the robot driver. Eventually, of course, the human driver will be eliminated and the robot driver complete the route solo.
Many people fear self-driving vehicles and wonder whether they will be safer than human drivers. However, these robot trucks will be primarily driving on highways, which have fewer variables to account for such as pedestrians and traffic signals. A robot driver only needs to stay in its lane, maintain a safe driving distance and follow the speed limit. Robot drivers also do not become tired and will not become distracted by texts messages or other things. Also, with multiple cameras in front, back and all around the truck, robot drivers can scan the road more efficiently than a human driver with just a single pair of eyes. Also, robot drivers do not need to sleep, while human drivers are required by law to take rest and sleep breaks on long hauls.
Self-driving semi-trucks will also address the shortage of truck drivers the industry currently faces. According to the American Trucking Association, there is a shortage of 50,000 drivers, which will likely increase to 175,000 by 2024.
For more information about Embark’s self- driving trucks, please visit: https://www.wired.com/story/embark-self-driving-truck-deliveries/
- “I would highly recommend Eugene Bruno & Associates! They helped me out with a case of mine and everything worked out perfectly. I worked with Amir, one of the lawyers and he was amazing. Definitely would work with him again. Thank you!”
- Mona Hakim, Google Review
- “This people deserve more than 5 stars. I would highly recommend them to anyone.”
- Faisal A., Google Review
- “You will not be disappointed hiring these guys. Eugene Bruno & Associates are the best car accident lawyers in San Diego and I recommend them 100%!!”
- Adam C., Google Review
- “Take the time to speak with Mr. Bruno, he will definitely help you and guide you and make you feel like family! Best decision I have made, I went with the best. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!!!!!”
- Lakeisha E., Google Review