May is Bicycle Safety Month
Bicyclists may be commuting to work, riding for exercise, training for charity rides or just out to enjoy the day. Even wearing safety gear, bicyclists are not well protected in the event of a crash and much more likely to be seriously injured. Remember, bicyclists are our parents, friends, and neighbors with loved ones who are counting on them to return home safely. By following these safety tips, bicyclists and drivers can work together to help keep our roads safe for bicyclists.
Tips for Bicyclists
Always wear a helmet and ensure that it fits properly and is approved by the Consumer Product Safety Commission.
- Always ride in the same direction as vehicle traffic.
- Obey all traffic signs, signals and lane markings.
- Pay attention to your surroundings by staying focused on the roadway and traffic in your path and avoiding distractions like phones or other electronic devices.
- Be visible to drivers by wearing bright colors and reflective materials and use a light on your bicycle at night or in low light conditions.
- Check your bike equipment before riding to ensure proper function of tires and brakes, and lights if you are riding at night.
Tips for Drivers
Pass bicyclists only when safe to do so and remember that California law requires you to allow at least three feet clearance when passing bicyclists. Remember that bicyclists may use the entire lane, even though most bicyclists ride on the shoulder, be aware of bicyclists that may be riding in front of you.
- Check twice for bicyclists before opening a car door, backing up, or pulling out of a parking space.
- Yield to bicyclists at intersections and as directed by signs and signals — even if you don’t have to.
- Respect designated bicycle lanes and do not use them for passing, turning, or parking.
Bicycles are small and have little protection compared to motor vehicles sharing the road and that makes for potentially catastrophic bicycle accident injuries.
Call Eugene Bruno & Associates so we can help you recover for your injuries and damages including pain and suffering, medical bills, lost wages, lost future earnings, and property damage. Our bicycle accident team wants to see that you are fully compensated for your injuries.
For a free initial consultation with an expert San Diego bicycle accident attorney, call us today at 888-278-6688.
- “I would highly recommend Eugene Bruno & Associates! They helped me out with a case of mine and everything worked out perfectly. I worked with Amir, one of the lawyers and he was amazing. Definitely would work with him again. Thank you!”
- Mona Hakim, Google Review
- “This people deserve more than 5 stars. I would highly recommend them to anyone.”
- Faisal A., Google Review
- “You will not be disappointed hiring these guys. Eugene Bruno & Associates are the best car accident lawyers in San Diego and I recommend them 100%!!”
- Adam C., Google Review
- “Take the time to speak with Mr. Bruno, he will definitely help you and guide you and make you feel like family! Best decision I have made, I went with the best. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!!!!!”
- Lakeisha E., Google Review