Bicycling Safety: The San Diego Century is Coming Up!
A bicyclist was killed at this weekend’s Tour de Palm Springs, but event organizers have called it a fluke and say there is no need to overhaul safety measures to protect bicyclists. According to The Desert Sun, Saturday’s death was caused by a 21-year-old driver suspected of going 100 mph on a stretch of roadway with a 50 mph speed limit. Outside of another fatality three years ago, the annual ride – which stretches 100 miles through the Coachella Valley – has had few problems in its 20-year history.
Two dozen mass bike rides are scheduled across California in 2018 and traffic laws and safety tips are included on websites for some of them, including the Solvang Century, Tour of Long Beach and the San Diego Century, right here at home. The 12th Annual San Diego Century will take place on May 19, 2018 and features 3 of San Diego’s most scenic routes consisting of 33, 67 or 105 miles with signature climbs that include the Purple Monster Climb, the Three Witches Climb and the RSF Climb.
Organizers of the San Diego Century have done a great job of informing participants of bicycle laws prior to the ride and have posted the following safety rules on their website:
- Follow traffic laws: please do not be ticketed as Police and Sheriffs patrol this route.
- This is a BIKE RIDE not a race and is held on an OPEN ROAD with motor vehicles. All riders must follow the RULES OF THE ROAD and all regulations as defined in the California vehicle code.
- Participants must follow all instructions of law enforcement and/or fire officials. All Public
- Safety vehicles have right of way at all times.
- All riders MUST be wearing an approved bike helmet on course.
- All riders MUST have a bike number and wristband on the course for safety and access to SAG.
- All riders must stay on the right hand side of the road, not cross the centerline and should ride single file.
- Wearing earbuds of headphones in both ears is PROHIBITED
- “I would highly recommend Eugene Bruno & Associates! They helped me out with a case of mine and everything worked out perfectly. I worked with Amir, one of the lawyers and he was amazing. Definitely would work with him again. Thank you!”
- Mona Hakim, Google Review
- “This people deserve more than 5 stars. I would highly recommend them to anyone.”
- Faisal A., Google Review
- “You will not be disappointed hiring these guys. Eugene Bruno & Associates are the best car accident lawyers in San Diego and I recommend them 100%!!”
- Adam C., Google Review
- “Take the time to speak with Mr. Bruno, he will definitely help you and guide you and make you feel like family! Best decision I have made, I went with the best. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!!!!!”
- Lakeisha E., Google Review