Allstate Pays $10 Million to Settle Unfair Colossus Claims Practices
Allstate has paid $10 million to settle with insurance regulators over unfair claims practices involving its use of Colossus. The regulatory action focused primarily on Allstate’s use of claims handling software, particularly the software program, Colossus. Colossus is a software program which allowed a computer, rather than a person, to determine settlement offers for injury claims from auto accidents. Regulators found “inconsistencies” in the way Allstate used the Colossus software program.
In addition to a $10 million fine, Allstate agreed to make a number of changes to the way they handle injury claims, including: Providing notice to claimants that Colossus may be used in handling their injury claims; Establishing uniform criteria for how Colossus is used in handling such claims; Auditing its use of Colossus and bodily injury claims handling to adhere to written guidelines and procedures to make settlement of injury claims more fair; Allowing claims adjusters to settle injury claims based on more than just the value set by Colossus; And not providing incentives for claims adjusters to settle claims for the value set by Colossus.
Not surprisingly, Allstate denies it used the Colossus program to systematically under-compensate accident victims.
- “I would highly recommend Eugene Bruno & Associates! They helped me out with a case of mine and everything worked out perfectly. I worked with Amir, one of the lawyers and he was amazing. Definitely would work with him again. Thank you!”
- Mona Hakim, Google Review
- “This people deserve more than 5 stars. I would highly recommend them to anyone.”
- Faisal A., Google Review
- “You will not be disappointed hiring these guys. Eugene Bruno & Associates are the best car accident lawyers in San Diego and I recommend them 100%!!”
- Adam C., Google Review
- “Take the time to speak with Mr. Bruno, he will definitely help you and guide you and make you feel like family! Best decision I have made, I went with the best. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!!!!!”
- Lakeisha E., Google Review